Ditch the Irish potatoes for sweet potatoes and you’ll never look back. Healthista’s lunch queen Ony Anukem brings you a healthy lunch recipe of vegan black bean, avocado and sweet potato salad with lime dressing recipe
Last week I shared my Super Green Spinach Mayo Tuna Pasta Salad, so I thought it was only fair to share my alternative potato salad recipe too. Growing up potato salad was a regular side in my household as it was one of my dad’s favourites. A typical summer dish would be something like: ham and cheese quiche served with dollops of pasta salad, potato salad and a sprinkling of green salad – and though we thought we were being super healthy, but we were easily consuming in excess of 800 calories thanks to all the cream, cheese and fatty meats. Thankfully, I have learnt the secrets of substitution and instead of creamy potato salad with egg and bacon – I now have black bean, avocado and sweet potato salad with lime dressing.
we thought we were being super healthy, but we were easily consuming in excess of 800 calories
I love sweet potatoes and after I found out last week that they count as a portion of my 10-a-day, I started to love them a little bit more. They are versatile, warm and best of all for a sweet fiend like me – they satisfy my craving. Best of all each serving is only 251 calories and it is so delicious and filling; so I leave the creamy potato salad with egg and bacon as annual treat (because I believe all things are good in moderation and if they aren’t well, who cares?).
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 handfuls of chopped fresh coriander
- 1 can of sweetcorn, drained
- 3 large sweet potatoes peeled diced into cubes
- 1 large ripe avocados, cubed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the dressing:
- The juice of 2 limes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon agave nectar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Start off by pre-heating the oven to 200°C.
- Then grab your sweet potato and place it into in a large bowl, at this add a tablespoon of olive oil, the paprika and the cayenne pepper. Mix well to ensure that the potatoes are evenly coated then transfer onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and roast for approximately 30 minutes until soft.
- Place the black beans, the sweetcorn, the avocado and the chopped coriander in a large salad bowl and tip in the roasted sweet potato chunks.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the lime juice with the olive oil, the agave nectar and seasoning to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Add the dressing to the salad and toss to mix. Enjoy!