Healthista’s new Strong Woman series brings you a lesson a day to get you started lifting safely and effectively. Your coach is Nicola Addison, personal trainer of Eqvvs training who trains models Elle Macpherson, Daisy Lowe and Erin O’Connor. Today it’s all about the deadlift.
Healthista’s Strong Women series is designed to empower and educate our readers into the basics of weightlifting for women with safety and effectiveness and it’s brought to you by celebrity trainer Nicola Addison (who know a thing or two about these things). Below are links to videos about how to get prepared and building your bar safely:
This week it’s Strong Women Week, we’re focused on doing all the big moves you need to do if you’re starting a lifting programme. Today, we’re beginning with the deadlift, a great compound movement that works quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, back and core.
- Start with feet hip width apart and bar in line with the shins.
- Now hip hinge forward, slightly moving hips backwards, feeling a stretch in our hamstrings.
- Keep your chest lifted at the same time, lower down the chest with the back straight, eyes looking about two or three metres in front of you
- Take hold of the bar weight through the heels and drive up full force, lifting the bar.
- Go gently down keeping the bar close to the thighs.
Tomorrow: how to do a muscular clean
With over 18 years of successful industry experience in some of the UK’s most prestigious wellness centres, Nicola Addison currently provides consultancy services to businesses and individuals in the UK and Europe. Having opened upwards of 18 independent exclusive commercial leisure facilities, she has had a successful career to date, both within large and small businesses with varying degrees of complexity.
Nicola is a well known industry voice and regularly publishes across the national press. Nicola is fully media trained and contributes to TV & radio as well as providing video content for her clients.