Professional footballer Thomas Hal Robson Kanu reveals 3 healthy recipes that will help you to incorporate turmeric into your diet
Turmeric is one of the most beneficial and powerful nutritional supplements that you can find – this is largely thanks to curcumin, which is the main active ingredient found in turmeric.
Curcumin provides your body with a huge range of natural benefits. It has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, and is also an effective antioxidant, meaning it’s perfect for reducing soreness and preventing certain diseases.
However, curcumin isn’t easy for your body to absorb properly, meaning you’ll need to make a conscious effort in order to get enough turmeric in your regular diet.
Get your curcumin fix with these three simple recipes…
#1 Turmeric Pancakes
Including turmeric in your pancake recipe is a brilliant way to boost your curcumin intake, while adding a unique colour and spice to the dish.
It’s also quick and easy, making it a great option for a nutritious breakfast or healthy dessert.
- 200g self raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 200ml milk
- 25g butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp honey
1. Combine all of your ingredients in a mixing bowl, and whisk together until smooth – this is your pancake batter.
2. Heat up a small knob of butter in a non-stick frying pan.
3. Add 2 tbsp of your batter to make each pancake, and swirl round into a circle with the back of your spoon.
4. Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side, and then flip with a spatula – cook for another minute until the pancake is golden and cooked through!
5. If you’re making a stack of pancakes and want to keep some warm while you finish the rest, feel free to place them on a tray in the oven at the lowest setting.
#2 Turmeric Scrambled Eggs
It’s super easy to incorporate turmeric into your scrambled eggs, and the unique flavour adds a new dimension to this classic dish.
This is a superb recipe for breakfast, brunch, or a post-workout meal.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ½ garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 100g spinach leaves
- 4 large eggs
- 50ml coconut milk
- 2 tsp grated turmeric
- 2 slices toasted sourdough (optional)
1. Put the coconut oil into a non-stick frying pan, and warm up over a medium heat.
2. Fry the chopped garlic (be careful not to burn) and then add in your spinach leaves. Wilt these gently for a few minutes, and just add a splash of water if they stick to the pan.
3. Whisk your eggs with the coconut milk, and the all important turmeric. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Once properly whisked, add to the pan with the spinach and garlic.
5. Stir continuously for 5-7 minutes to avoid the eggs drying out, and continue to scramble until you reach the desired consistency.
6. Serve your eggs either on their own, or on top of some toasted sourdough bread.
#3 Turmeric Smoothie Bowl
Mixing a turmeric smoothie bowl is one of the easiest ways you can incorporate more curcumin into your diet. This is a wholesome and nourishing dish that makes for an excellent breakfast.
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 tbsp coconut milk yogurt – alternatively, use the cream skimmed from the top of canned coconut milk
- 50g oats
- 1 tbsp cashew butter, or a handful of cashews
- 2 bananas – peeled and chopped into chunks
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
1. Place all smoothie ingredients into a blender with 600ml of water, and blend until smooth.
2. Serve in a bowl, and garnish with chia seeds if desired.
If you can regularly incorporate these recipes into your diet, you’ll be well on your way to enjoying the natural benefits of turmeric.
However, sometimes you may not always have the time, or ingredients, to whip up some of these dishes.
Fear not – turmeric shots are a brilliantly convenient way to provide your body with all of the natural goodness of curcumin.
They’re designed to help your body absorb the nutrients quickly and easily, meaning you can experience all of the benefits of turmeric with zero preparation.
Whatever your preference, finding a way to increase your turmeric intake is a great idea for your health and wellbeing.
If you’re looking to improve your wellbeing, mental health and general lifestyle through the means of functional nutrition, Thomas Hal Robson-Kanu suggests trying an energy-refuelling, brain fog eliminating, health-boosting Raw Turmeric Shot from The Turmeric Co.