Sleep problems? The solution might be in your feet. In this video, Michele Stevens shows how foot reflexology can help you get a better night’s sleep
Did you know that any tension in your feet, your hands and your face could affect what’s going on in other areas of your body? Your body is made up of bone, tissues, nerves, tendons, muscles and nerve endings are found all over the body.
Whether it be aches and pains, built up tension or even sleeping problems, reflexologist Michele Stevens will guide you through self massage techniques to tackle some of the most frequent issues we all struggle with.
What is foot reflexology?
The feet have 26 bones and over 7,000 nerve endings called reflexes. It is these reflexes that correspond to every organ and system within your body.
Reflexology is a non-intrusive complementary therapy and is based on the theory that by applying gentle pressure on these reflex points, stimulate the nervous system and opens the energy pathways that may be blocked or congested.
A reflexology treatment aims to restore the body’s natural balance. In this busy world, we spend a lot of time on our feet and our feet take a daily pounding. This impact is felt throughout the whole body.
We put our feet under a lot of pressure and never give them a thought until they start hurting.
Foot reflexology for sleep problems
- Pineal Gland – using the finger of thumb, press and hold this point for a few seconds. The pineal gland is a small gland located in the brain that helps to regulate hormones, one of which is called melatonin. It is this hormone that helps regulate sleeping patterns.
2. Head/Brain – Using the thumb, work the whole of the big toe at least three times – working this point will help calm the mind and clear the head.
3. Lung – Using the thumb, press upwards from top of foot to toes gently a few times – this will help with relaxation and encourages deeper breathing, thereby increasing the oxygen distribution around the body.
4. Diaphragm – Using the thumb, work across the middle of the foot three times. Working this point helps to release tension held in the whole body.
5. Solar Plexus – Using the thumb, press and circle in the middle of your foot. Take deep breaths while working this point. Taking deep breaths helps with relaxation and helps with settling the mind and body.
For more about Michele and to book an appointment, visit Wellness by Michele Holistic Therapies here. You can also contact Michele Stevens at wellnessbymichele.com who provides this treatment in her own practice in Hayes, Middlesex.
Michele Stevens is fully qualified and a member of the Association of Reflexologists and Registered with Complimentary & Natural HealthCare Council (CNHC) fro Reflexology. I am a Colour Mirror Practitioner.When you have treatments with me, you will feel safe and nurtured and know that I put you and your interests at the heart of my treatments; and it’s wonderful to know that for that time, no one can disturb you for anything.