We all dream of a good night’s sleep but, for some it’s a struggle – this hand reflexology by reflexologist Michele Stevens, could help solve your sleep problems
Did you know that any tension in your feet, your hands and your face could affect what’s going on in other areas of your body? Your body is made up of bone, tissues, nerves, tendons, muscles and nerve endings are found all over the body.
Whether it be aches and pains, built up tension or even sleeping problems, reflexologist Michele Stevens will guide you through self massage techniques to tackle some of the most frequent issues we all struggle with.
What is reflexology?
Reflexology is more than just a foot/hand or face massage – Michele calls reflexology the reboot button for the body – similar to turning the computer on and off – it allows you the time and space to let the body heal and relax.
Reflexology is an ancient therapy that has been practised for over 5000 years, based on the theory that different points on the feet, face and hands correspond with different areas of the body and that working on these reflex points stimulates the nervous system and opens the energy pathways that may be blocked or congested.
Helping to aid with relaxation and reducing the negative effects of stress on the body, helping to improve overall wellbeing.
Hand reflexology – Sleep problems sequence
- Pineal gland – using the finger or thumb of the other hand press and hold this point for a few seconds. The pineal gland is a small gland located in the brain that helps to regulate hormones, one of which is called melatonin. It is this hormone that helps regulate sleeping patterns
2. Head/brain – Using the thumb of the other hand work this area at least 3 times – working this point will help calm the mind and clear the head.
3. Lung – Using the thumb of the other hand, work these points gently a few times – this will help with relaxation and encourages deeper breathing thereby increasing the oxygen distribution around the body.
4. Diaphragm – Using thumb of the other hand work across the palm of your hands 3 times. Working this point helps to release tension held in the whole body.
5. Solar Plexus – Using the thumb of the other hand press and circle this point and take deep breaths while working this point. Taking deep breathes helps with relaxation and helps with settling the mind and body.
For more about Michele and to book an appointment, visit Wellness by Michele Holistic Therapies here. You can also contact Michele Stevens at wellnessbymichele.com who provides this treatment in her own practice in Hayes, Middlesex.
More reflexology content from Michele
Michele Stevens is fully qualified and a member of the Association of Reflexologists and Registered with Complimentary & Natural HealthCare Council (CNHC) fro Reflexology. I am a Colour Mirror Practitioner.When you have treatments with me, you will feel safe and nurtured and know that I put you and your interests at the heart of my treatments; and it’s wonderful to know that for that time, no one can disturb you for anything.
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.