Healthista have even more vegan recipes to help get you through the last week of Veganuary and this time they’re celebrity approved. Gwyneth Paltrow shares three of her favourite quick treats
Sometimes cooking can be a faff, and when it comes to vegan cooking many recipes can look far too complicated, when all you want to do is rustle up a quick healthy treat.
Instead of reaching for that boring yogurt you’re starting to get sick of, or those vegan brownies that seem to be the only sweet vegan treat you can get your hands on, it would be nice if you could whip up a quick yet healthy vegan treat – that really is that, a treat!
Gwyneth Paltrow is here to save the day. In her new book The Clean Plate, she offers over 100 recipes that are super healthy and she says, guaranteed to give you that ‘everyday glow’.
We’ve picked three of her top sweet vegan treats for you to make at home, and trust us they couldn’t be more simple – or delicious.
Vegan recipe #1 Black Rice Pudding with Coconut Milk and Mango
‘Full of iron, vitamin E, and antioxidants, black rice is a nutritional powerhouse. It also happens to be delicious,’ says Paltrow. ‘Here I simmer it slowly in water and coconut milk, and top it with ripe mango. It plays to both sides—a little sweet, a little salty. In the right crowd, I’d even get away with serving it for dessert.’
½ cup black rice
2 cups water
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk
1 date, pitted and diced
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
½ mango, peeled and sliced
- In a small saucepan, combine the rice, water, ½ cup of the coconut milk, the date, and the salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook for 45 minutes, stirring halfway through to make sure the rice is not sticking.
- Divide the rice pudding between two bowls and pour 1 tablespoon of the coconut milk over each.
- Top with the mango and serve.
Vegan recipe #2 Apricot, Cashew and Coconut Truffles
‘These fruity, tropical bites are made for an afternoon treat; they’re also great for packing in the kids’ lunches. Treats all around!’
Makes 12 balls
½ cup dried apricots
½ cup raw cashews
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
Zest of 1 lime
A pinch of flaky sea salt
1 tablespoon water
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process until the mixture is smooth and forms a ball around the processor blade (this may take a while).
- Using wet hands, roll the mixture into 12 tablespoon-sized balls, setting them on a plate as you work.
- Let set in the fridge until ready to eat.
Vegan recipe #3 Blueberry Cauliflower Smoothie
‘With antioxidant-rich blueberries and protein packed almond butter, this smoothie is one I often throw together after a workout. Buy organic wild blueberries, if you can find them’.
½ cup frozen blueberries
½ cup frozen cauliflower
1 tablespoon unsweetened almond butter
¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
1 date, pitted and roughly chopped
Juice of ½ lime
- Combine all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
The Clean Plate is available to buy on Amazon.
More Healthista Content:
WIN £120 WORTH OF Fresh Start Hamper Goodies
Healthista has teamed up with Higher Nature for a chance to win £120 worth of Fresh Start hamper goodies