With Thanksgiving next Thursday, we thought we’d provide you with a real American-style treat from Patrick Drake, head chef at Hello Fresh. It’s not every day you get fried chicken and chips on this site!
Southern Style Chicken with Sweet Potato Chips
Mention “Southern Style Chicken” and people imagine the heart-stopping offerings of the local high street. We decided to take all the incredible flavours of traditional, deep south, finger lickin’ chicken and come up with a healthy alternative. A simple coating of breadcrumbs baked in the oven with nutritious sweet potato means you get all the enjoyment without the usual guilt. Our Fresh Tip for this recipe is to grill the top of the chicken right at the end for a couple of minutes to really crisp up the top!
Ready In 35 Minutes
2 Chicken Breasts
2 Tbsps Crème Fraîche
½ Tsp Smoked Sweet Paprika
½ Tsp Garlic Salt
½ Tsp Turmeric
450g Sweet Potatoes
1 Baby Gem Lettuce
A Punnet Cherry Tomatoes
1. Pre-heat your oven to 220 degrees. Scrub (but don’t peel) your sweet potatoes under some water and cut them in half lengthways. Cut each half lengthways into 3 pieces (or 4 pieces if it’s a big ‘un). Coarsely chop the gem lettuce and cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
2. Coat the sweet potatoes in two tsps of olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Put them on the top shelf of the oven for 25 mins, or until they are nice and crispy.
3. Mix together the breadcrumbs with ½ tsp of smoked sweet paprika, ½ tsp of garlic salt and ½ tsp of turmeric.
4. Coat each chicken breast in a tbsp of crème fraîche, then roll each chicken breast in the breadcrumbs to thoroughly coat them. Cook the chicken on a baking tray in the oven on the middle shelf for 20 mins. Tip: The chicken is cooked when it is no longer pink in the middle.
5. Mix together the salad and the chopped cherry tomatoes then season with a tsp of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
6. Like all things, chicken is best when rested. Once the chicken is cooked take it out of the oven and leave it for a few minutes. Tip: This will allow all the juices inside to redistribute throughout the meat leaving you with a nice, succulent bit of chicken.
7. Serve your chicken with a side order of sweet potatoes and a bit of salad for garnish. Dinner to make even the Colonel himself proud!
PATRICK DRAKE is the founder and Head Chef at Hello Fresh a food delivery company with a difference. They bring you easy-to-follow recipes and all the fresh ingredients you need to make to your door.
Click here and enter the code HEALTHISTA20 to get an exclusive £20 off your first order.
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.