It’s already week nine of Healthista’s 12 week anti-ageing body plan featuring advice and videos from nutritional physiologist Rick Hay. It’s not too late to benefit from Rick’s lifestyle tips, recipe and workout videos. If you’re just joining us, scroll to the bottom of the post to see how it works
PRINCIPLES OF THE PLAN
This easy-to-follow detailed plan targets ageing and fitness at a cellular level using nutrient dense meals and snacks.
1. Healthy proteins The plan in weeks 5 to 8 alters slightly to include thermogenic spices such as cayenne, chilli, pepper and turmeric in order to more effectively metabolise fat from the body. Although weeks 5 to 8 aren’t too much different from weeks 1 to 4, one thing you notice is that breakfast recommends a protein shake. In these weeks, the plan also involves the consumption of healthy plant based protein, combined with low-fat fish and white meat options. A diet full of nutrient dense plant based protein has been shown to increase life expectancy while lowering the risk of today’s common diseases, such as cardiovascular problems, diabetes and obesity related illnesses.
2. Eating small and often There are three main meal choices and three snack options focusing on controlled portions on the plan. That means the meals can remain varied throughout the course but they’e designed to ensure you get to eat plenty of healthy food and never get hungry.The plan also includes healthy carbs to help with cognition and promote high energy levels.
3. Promoting digestive health The food choices in this plan also help the body achieve the correct digestive function to slow down the ageing process and assist with weight management.
4. Daily HIIT fitness A fitness regimen of 5-minute high intensity interval training (HIIT) and yoga or pilates is recommended to help increase general fitness and slow down the ageing process and features in each or our weekly workout videos on the plan. See the end of the post for an outlined fitness regimen.
5. Moving more, aiming to take 10,000 steps a day Sitting less and moving around more through your work day is one of the best things you can do to lose weight and feel younger.
Missed week 8? Read it here
WEEK 9 – WHAT TO DO
One glass or cup of warm water with the juice of half a Grapefruit or Lemon to kick start digestion and to help with fat metabolism. Add a dash of cinnamon, as this also regulates blood sugar levels and helps reduce cravings
Spicy baked beans on 2 slices of wholemeal toast. Add some chili or tabasco to the beans which act as thermogenic agents to speed up the metabolism and stimulate digestion
VIDEO: Rick Hay prepares a quick 5-minute meal of spicy beans for breakfast
Nut and Apple mix: Cut up 1 to 2 small apples, add 1/4 cup of raw Nuts and add a few pieces of dried fruit like Dates, Raisins or Sultanas. Mix together with a glass of rice or almond milk. This provides energy from the dates and satiety from the nuts. A handful of oats can be added to the mix to help promote fullness
Sunwarrior Protein Shake: 1 scoop of Sunwarrior Protein, 250mls of Rice, Almond or Semi Skimmed Milk together with 1 small Banana and half a cup of fresh or frozen Berries. A handful of almonds can be added to increase satiety. Also add 1 tablespoon (serving) of Sapphire Blueberry Shots to provide Nutrient Dense Cellular Fuel which is perfect for hair, skin, nails and to help with energy levels.
1 cup of Coffee, Tea or Herbal Tea of choice to help with fullness and hydration. The caffeine in the coffee or tea has fat burning qualities. Sweeten with honey, stevia or xylitol, no added sugar or artificial sweeteners.
Seasonal Small Fruit Salad with Nuts: Small bowl of Fruit Salad topped with 5 or 6 Almonds or Nuts of choice. Can be served with a dollop of non sugary organic yogurt. The fruit and nuts are nutrient dense and help with both cognitive and immune function – the nuts provide some protein to help with fullness.
1 Apple with 6-8 Pecans
Before lunch or dinner 6 Spirulina tablets can be taken as they help with feelings of fullness and control portion size- they also help to alkalize the system.
2 or 3 Egg Omelette or Scrambled Eggs with half an Avocado. Season with chili, cayenne or black pepper.
Seafood or Quorn Meat Substitute with Greens: Mix a small bowl of lightly fried Seafood or Quorn piece (fry slowly using cold pressed olive oil) with a cup sized portion of Asparagus, Broccoli and Green Beans together with 3 small Tomatoes. Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar and fresh cracked black pepper. The Seafood, Quorn and Salad are nutrient dense and whilst the vinegar and black pepper promote fat burning, olive oil provides a good source of healthy omegas.
2 or 3 Crisp Bread with half an Avocado and black pepper and chili
2 or 3 Prunes or Dates, or a glass of Prune Juice (if preferred), with 1 Banana: if you’re constipated it’s harder to lose weight and the banana provides fibre and energy both physically and mentally. Add 2 teaspoons of Mixed Nuts and Seeds for protein to help keep you satisfied.
Peppermint or Spearmint Tea with a little added honey to both calm and stimulate the digestive system to make the plan most efficient.
Bunless Fried Organic Chicken, Turkey, Salmon, Tuna or Tofu Burger (100g) served with a cup of leafy or steamed greens. Add a teaspoon or two of pine nuts and top with a mustard and chili dressing. Fry using a little cold pressed olive oil.
Grilled White Fish, such as Haddock or Sea bass/Organic Chicken/Tofu or Quorn Meat Substitute, (small piece) served with a bowl of green leaves or steamed greens dressed with balsamic vinegar, black pepper and sea salt
Vegetable Stir Fry with Cashews: Add 150g of lean protein (Seafood, Fish or Tofu) and two cups of a Vegetable Medley of your choice. Add 6 or 7 raw Cashews and make sure you add spices to taste which also stimulates the digestive juices and speeds up metabolism. Use soy sauce, ginger, chili and garlic.
1 cup of Herbal Tea, such as a cup of unsweetened Dandelion Tea or your herbal tea of choice, such as Fennel, Fenugreek or Licorice. Dandelion’s bitter qualities aid liver function, making it good for weight loss, fluid retention, bloating and skin conditions.
Stewed Apples: Slowly stew 1 apple and serve with a topping of cinnamon and half a teaspoon of almond slivers.
1 cup of herbal tea – calming varieties like Chamomile, Lemon Balm or Valerian.
Fitness Plan Week 9: The daily 5-Minute Fat-Burning Challenge
As part of Rick Hay’s anti ageing fitness plan, he suggests making movement a part of your daily routine.
For the next 12 weeks we’re challenging you to:
1) Commit to do five minutes’ HIIT exercise daily. We’ll provide a different HIIT training video each week, all you have to do is give us back five minutes – and a little sweat – by doing the video each day. If you can’t do daily, try and rank up at least four times weekly.
2) Try and walk more than 10,000 steps a day. You’ll be surprised how the steps build up. Here’s a detailed how-to post to get you started walking for weight loss
This 5 minute cardio challenge includes a 3 minute high intensity program followed by a lower intensity yoga or pilates move.
Do each individual cardio exercise as many times as you can for one minute (three minutes in total), followed by the yoga/pilates move for two minutes. Repeat as often as you like, tailored to your own fitness level.
Within each movement we have included varying levels of intensity. Repeat these challenges 2 or 3 times so you continue to grow and keep your body challenged.
VIDEO: This week’s 5-minute cardio challenge video – do it daily or as often as you can this week.
Holding the hands up in front of your face, punch the hands forward in an alternating action, perform 10 forward, 10 ‘hooks’ (from side to side) then 10 uppercuts (hands move punching from underneath).
Start in a lunge position, then simply jump up in the air landing with feet in the opposite positions.
TIP: Jump high in the air to increase intensity.
Fast motion, shoulder to knee, alternate leg in front.
Yoga – Warrior I / II / Reverse Warrior:
Starting in downward dog, float right foot to the ceiling. Sweep it forward between hands raising the torso and the arms upward, palms facing each other. Warrior I, move right arm forward (parallel to flow), left arm back, Warrior II – progress to Reverse Warrior by lowering left hand down towards back knee and raising the right arm overhead, gazing at the ceiling. Cartwheel the arms forward, return to down dog and repeat.
THE ANTI-AGEING BODY PLAN – read previous weeks:
This is an extract from the Anti Ageing Fitness Plan by Rick Hay. Available for download at the Xynergy website. The Anti Ageing Fitness Plan is a 12-week plan, complete with fitness regimens that are high-intensity and fat-burning. There are 12 weeks of meal plans that help to slow the ageing process, promote weight loss and alkalize the body at a cellular level.
Rick Hay is an Anti Ageing and Fitness Nutritionist with many years clinical experience in nutrition, naturopathy, botanical medicine and iridology. He specializes in obesity treatment and weight management. He write a regular Natural Health and Fitness Blog for Healthista. Picture: Lydia Jones
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.