Over 70% percent of the population carry the cold sore virus, but do we even know what we’re up against? Here are five lip health beliefs trusted or busted for you by Healthista and lips’ latest solution, Prevasore Everyday Lip Therapy. Tweet this story with the hashtag #liphealth for a chance to win a year’s supply of Prevasore for you and a friend worth £83.
You read that right – over 70% of people carry the highly contagious virus, HSV-1, which is the virus that causes your cold sores to spring up at the least ideal times. While the virus itself may be incurable, its ugly symptoms are treatable. The first line of defense? Knowledge.
Here, Healthista editor Anna Magee introduces Prevasore Everyday Lip Therapy, which helps prevent cold sores. The film, from the experts at Prevasore, tackles some of the myths and truths associated with lip health.
Lip Health: True or False?
Licking my lips will keep them hydrated, true or false?
False. Resist the temptation to lick your lips. It may provide temporary relief for sore lips but saliva evaporates quickly, leaving the lips drier than they were before. The digestive enzymes in saliva can actually damage the skin.
Lips don’t contain sebaceous glands, true or false?
True. Lips do not have sebaceous glands, also known as sweat glands, which are used by the body to secrete oils to help keep the skin moisturised. As a result, lips tend to dry out faster than other parts of the body. All the more reason to ensure Prevasore Everyday Lip Therapy is on hand at all times!
Over 70% of the population carry the cold sore virus, true or false?
True. The best way to ensure you aren’t caught out by a cold sore is to maintain optimum lip health at all times. This can be achieved using Prevasore Everyday Lip Therapy daily to help keep the lips and surrounding area in good condition.
We are more susceptible to cold sores in winter, true or false?
Difficult to say. We are more susceptible during the cold winter months, any harsh environmental conditions can damage our lips making them more vulnerable. Cold sores are also triggered when the body is run down and/or stressed. Avoid extreme weather conditions. Very hot sun, strong wind and low temperatures can all take their toll. Hats, scarves and lip balm are your best defence! Prevasore’s specially designed formula softens and moisturises the skin on and around the lips, thereby maintaining the elasticity and barrier properties.
Cold sores can be contracted from kissing, true or false?
True. Cold sores are at their most contagious when they rupture, but remain contagious until they’ve completely healed. You should avoid close contact with others until your cold sore has completely healed as once you pass on the virus, which is responsible for cold sores, they have it for life.
Take care of your lips with Prevasore Everyday Lip Therapy, available now for £6.95 from prevasore.co.uk.
To WIN a year’s supply of Prevasore Lip Therapy worth £83 just share this story on Twitter with the hashtag #liphealth (see below for terms and conditions).
Prevasore Twitter Competition | Terms & Conditions
- The promoter is Diomed Direct Ltd whose registered office is Tatmore Place, Preston Road, Gosmore, SG4 7QR.
- The prize includes six packs of Prevasore Everyday Lip Therapy for the chosen winner and six packs of Prevasore Everyday Lip Therapy for an individual of their choice.
- The prize is for one person selected by The Promoter and an individual of the winner’s choice only.
- All entrants, and winner’s chosen individual must be aged 12 years or over.
- The prize can only be redeemed once by the chosen winner and their chosen individual.
- The winner will be notified through a direct message on Twitter and a direct email.
- The competition opening date is 15th March 2016.
- The competition closing date is 11.59pm on the 15th April 2016. After this date the no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- The winner will be chosen at random by The Promotor on the 16th April 2016.
- The winner will be contacted by The Promotor on the 16th April 2016.
- Bulk, third party or organised group entries will be disqualified.
- The winner will be selected randomly from those who enter the competition located on the Healthista Twitter site and the Healthista website.
- The Promoter reserves the right to change the details of the prize at any time.
- Any person that is: (a) an employee of any company involved in the competition or (b) a family member of such employee, is not eligible to enter the competition.
- In the event that a prize-winner is disqualified from the competition, The Promoter will, unless otherwise stated in the competition terms, select an alternative prize-winner in the same manner as the original prize-winner and such selection will be subject to the rules.
- The Promoter will issue the prize in two batches to ensure that the products can be reasonably assumed to be used before their expiry date. The prizes will be delivered to two UK addresses only: that of the winner and of their chosen individual.
- Prizes are non-transferable and there is no cash alternative. In the event of a prize being unavailable for any reason The Promoter reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value at any time without giving notice.
- In the event that any Prize Notification is returned as undeliverable or any Prize-winner fails to validly reply to a Prize Notification within 28 days, The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify the Prize-winner and select an alternative Prize-winner.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, injury (other than our liability for personal injury or death as a result of our negligence) or disappointment of any kind suffered by any entrant in entering the Competition, including as a result of any entrant winning or not winning any prize.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- The Promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation, and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.