In honour of last night’s Biscuit Week on the Great British Bake Off, here’s a healthy vegan breakfast cookie recipe
So we are all jumping for joy and celebrating the start of a new series of the Great British Bake Off. And to get you inspired to get your oven mits on, Daniela Fischer, yoga teacher and plant-based recipe developer, shares a super yummy oaty cookie recipe.
And it gets a healthy thumbs up from Healthista’s Nutritional Director Rick Hay. ‘It has the oats to help with feelings of fullness so they make a delicious breakfast with a cup of tea. The spices will boost your metabolism and the cinnamon will help you keep those fingers away from the cookie jar. Well, after you have these.’
- 2 1/2 cups buckwheat oats
- 3/4 cup dates
- 3/4 cups spelt flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 2-3 tablespoons Agave syrup
- 1 egg or vegan alternative
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees C and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cut dates into small cubes (raisin-size)
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and stir.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the mix and stir until everything is combined.
- Use 1 (heaped) tablespoon to scoop the batter onto the parchment paper. Press it down slightly.
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes or until firm and cooked through.
- Let cool before eating.
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.