Over a staggering 70% of the population carry the cold sore virus and nearly half of us will get recurrent cold sores. The good news? There’s a daily treatment that can help heal cold sores and prevent their recurrence.
The cold, blustery winter months bring with them the threat of dry, chapped and sore lips and for nearly half of us, recurrent cold sores. Indeed, the HSV-1 virus is one of the most common human viral infections and research shows that as many as 45% of the population are reported to suffer from recurrent cold sores which can last up to two weeks, long enough to make an impact on your social life and extend the embarrassment factor long past its use-by date.
Here, we bring you the facts you need to know and a brand new, unique therapy that can help prevent the recurrence of cold sores and help treat dry, chapped lips. So first, some facts.
What are cold sores?
Cold sores are infections caused by a particular type of virus, usually HSV-1, which lies dormant until triggered by a variety of internal or external factors.
How can you prevent cold sores from spreading?
Do not kiss anyone whilst you have a cold sore
Wash your hands after touching a cold sore because the virus can spread to other parts of the body, in particular to the eyes and genitals
Do not share cold sore creams or medications with others
Do not share items such as lipsticks, cutlery, or towels while you are suffering from a cold sore outbreak
What triggers cold sores?
Dry chapped lips, fatigue, harsh weather conditions, fever, cold or flu, lip injury, stress and menstruation.
How common are they?
The HSV-1 virus is one of the most common human viral infections, so it’s not surprising that 15 – 45% of the populations is reported to suffer from recurring cold sores.
At any one time, between 1 and 3% of the population are estimated to have ongoing cold sores, with approximately 9% of people experiencing three or more cold sores every year.
Can the virus be cured?
Once the virus is contracted, it cannot be cured. The virus establishes a dormant infection in sensory nerve ganglia in/around the lips and this infection remains forever irrespective of treatment. Cold sores are the results of reactivation of the virus.
Now, for the brand new treatment that can help
Prevasore Everyday Lip Therapy is a new lip therapy we’re excited about for its ability to help treat the symptoms associated with cold sores, as well as increase lip hydration and decrease dryness. In a study of 54 male and female volunteers aged 18-70 who used Prevasore Everyday Lip Therapy for five days, multiple times a day, testers reported an 81% increase in lip hydration, a 93% reduction in lip dryness and a 98% reduction in lip cracking. Click here to read more about the study.
‘Chapped lips and cold sores are common occurrences during the cold winter months,’ says GP Dr Kuldeep Monocha. ‘This is something you can help prevent by creating a barrier between the lips and harsh environment. Prevasore Everyday Lip Therapy does just this. Its specifically designed formula softens and moisturises the skin on and around the lips, thereby maintaining their barrier properties.’ By keeping lips healthy, Dr Minocha maintains you can accelerate their own natural healing processes, so lips look and feel more subtle and healthy, which is how Prevasore Everyday Lip Therapy not only helps prevent and treat sore, cracked lips, but also helps heal cold sores and prevent their recurrence.
Prevasore Everyday Lip Therapy £6.95 is available online from prevasore.co.uk
Watch our video to see editor Anna Magee introduce Prevasore Everyday Lip Therapy in Healthista’s We Love column and hear about some myths and truths associated with winter lip health.
To WIN a year’s supply of Prevasore Lip Therapy worth £83 just share this story on Twitter with the hashtag #liphealth (see below for terms and conditions).
Prevasore Twitter Competition | Terms & Conditions
- The promoter is Diomed Direct Ltd whose registered office is Tatmore Place, Preston Road, Gosmore, SG4 7QR.
- The prize includes six packs of Prevasore Everyday Lip Therapy for the chosen winner and six packs of Prevasore Everyday Lip Therapy for an individual of their choice.
- The prize is for one person selected by The Promoter and an individual of the winner’s choice only.
- All entrants, and winner’s chosen individual must be aged 12 years or over.
- The prize can only be redeemed once by the chosen winner and their chosen individual.
- The winner will be notified through a direct message on Twitter and a direct email.
- The competition opening date is 15th March 2016.
- The competition closing date is 11.59pm on the 15th April 2016. After this date the no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- The winner will be chosen at random by The Promotor on the 16th April 2016.
- The winner will be contacted by The Promotor on the 16th April 2016.
- Bulk, third party or organised group entries will be disqualified.
- The winner will be selected randomly from those who enter the competition located on the Healthista Twitter site and the Healthista website.
- The Promoter reserves the right to change the details of the prize at any time.
- Any person that is: (a) an employee of any company involved in the competition or (b) a family member of such employee, is not eligible to enter the competition.
- In the event that a prize-winner is disqualified from the competition, The Promoter will, unless otherwise stated in the competition terms, select an alternative prize-winner in the same manner as the original prize-winner and such selection will be subject to the rules.
- The Promoter will issue the prize in two batches to ensure that the products can be reasonably assumed to be used before their expiry date. The prizes will be delivered to two UK addresses only: that of the winner and of their chosen individual.
- Prizes are non-transferable and there is no cash alternative. In the event of a prize being unavailable for any reason The Promoter reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value at any time without giving notice.
- In the event that any Prize Notification is returned as undeliverable or any Prize-winner fails to validly reply to a Prize Notification within 28 days, The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify the Prize-winner and select an alternative Prize-winner.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, injury (other than our liability for personal injury or death as a result of our negligence) or disappointment of any kind suffered by any entrant in entering the Competition, including as a result of any entrant winning or not winning any prize.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- The Promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.